Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Merry Xmas!

So another year has passed by and this year, it's no different! Before I forget, merry xmas to all out there! May your wishes come true.

Sometimes we make wishes that are tremendously materialistic - like, "I hope to have a 30 inch LCD TV" or "I hope my parents will get me the latest mobile phone with 3G function" when for many people out there, their only wish is survival and passing each day. Working in devastated nations or in places where rescue is required must change the perspective of life. Suddenly everything in our very fast-paced materialistic life seems... blah. It just makes us wonder why we spent so much time worrying about whether we will be getting a big/small bonus, or whether you will be able to go holidaying in the new year of 2007 etc etc... When others out there just wish to have shelter over their heads.

The mini flood that struck the flower gardens in Thomson Road last week made me ponder about those who are currently stuck in floods in Johor province. Rescue efforts are going on and up to 8 people have perished in the floods. Is Mother Nature telling us that the world is coming to an end? The tsunami last year was a sobering reminder that when it comes down to it, we humans are weak and easily destroyed. So what if there are billions of us around? Only a handful of people, like the conservationists, realise that humans are destroying this world around us. This world which has given us everything - gorgeous scenery, food, a house to live in - and yet the way we ravish it in return, just for our own pleasures... must make it seem that we are highly ungrateful.

Though it seems that i'm really sad and affected by everything around us, I am determined to make others aware of the need for conservation. People may laugh or even shrug it off, but i think it's time I do something that i really feel passionate about. This shall be my new year's resolution, though i don't quite know how i'm going about it. I shall do something about it.

A very merry xmas to you all and to my darling, happy 1 year anniversary. (And a separate letter to you, my baby.)

Happy new year in advance!

1 comment:

Carrot said...

yep i think the human race is killing itself.

merry xmas dear!