Friday, October 07, 2005

What do you want in your life?



I had this discussion with my colleague today, over tea at Café Cartel, which incidentally has very good promotions for tea time (230-5pm). We had a bread and butter pudding with two scoops of ice cream and peaches/strawberries and a café latte for only $7.80. Certainly a good deal.

What is your priority in life? And more importantly, What is your purpose in life? A profound question indeed. Perhaps it’s a question I ought to ask myself. I know what I want, but do I know what I’m doing on this earth? Philosophical, maybe, religious also. But you guys know I’m not religious at all… still it’s important to question what we are doing on this earth, in this life?

I think I have yet to find the answer to this question… and it will definitely take some time. Perhaps you guys have the answer? Or do you find it beyond your means to think about such a question… Try answering it, try figuring out whether it is to be a good lover/wife to someone or whether it is to be an upright person to bring happiness into other people’s life, or to be like Mother Theresa and teach the world about humanity and love.

A temporary answer for me is to bring love and joy to the people around me just by being me and to achieve all I set out to, which at this moment, is to find satisfaction in my career/job – which I think I’m not particularly enjoying up to this point.

We are all at current reality and the extent of our happiness stems from how big the gap is from our ideal self. I once had a talk with my professor and she told me that the gap between my current reality and ideal self is really small… meaning to say that I was a happy and satisfied person… However, ever since starting work, I have to say that gap is widening… to a state which I do not enjoy.

Hence, time for me to think about the question in the subject line here… Let me know your answers, folks.

No comments: