Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bringing bee home part 2

And back to the story.

*********
Bee became a pet to class 3G, who loved him very much. He was let out during lesson time, as was used to tame the students. When they were naughty, their teacher would say, "You must behave because otherwise, the rabbit would be scared." And in their naivete, they would believe her. Every weekend, he would go home to my colleague or another colleague. So went on his life for a few weeks. When the March holidays came, it seemed no one was able to take in the rabbit. Knowing that I loved rabbits, my colleague approached me to ask if i could take him for the March holidays. Of course, i couldn't wait! I was hoping they'd ask me in the first place! So, cage in hand, and without asking the permission of Mum, i brought him back for the March hols.

He was so sweet and refused to come out the cage. Well behaved, so we thought. Mum was besotted! She would talk to him and feed him vegetables, almost like the old Bee. When he was more confortable, he would come out of the cage, but didn't venture far. How were we to know he had hare instincts?? When the time came for him to go back to school, Mum was heartbroken. It was just a matter of time before she asked if we could keep him. I had to think of a plan.

I approached my colleague and told her that bringing the rabbit to and fro and exposing him to naughty kids was bad for his health. It was no way for a rabbit to live. And since I was willing to become his owner, could i take him? After little consideration, she nodded his head. He was officially ours! I was so excited to take him home and love him, and Mum was delighted. He would soon show his true colours, by coming out the cage and jumping all around - on the sofa, the bed and dashing all over the house. His dashing, we've come to know now, is called binkying. And rabbits only binky when they're happy. We were happy that he was happy. Come to think of it, we called him 'siao', but perhaps his 'siao'ness was a reflection of how satisfied he was living with us. :)

So that was how Bee came to live in the Yeo household. He brought so much joy to our lives. Before he was sterilised, he really behaved like a hare. When he was let out, he would jump on the sofa and go crazy! Attacking the pillows, tunnelling in and out of the several pillows that lay on the sofa were normal. He was particularly fond of mum and would always want to pounce on her. The look he had in his eye was pure determination. Once, she held out a cushion to prevent him from jumping onto her and guess what he did? He used his strong hind legs and leapt over the pillow and eventually still landed up on her lap! Boy, was she stunned beyond words. All she could do after that was pat him and shower him with even more attention. He certainly knew who had the softest spot for him, and used it to his advantage. But he was a mean fellow, and has left me two permanent scars on my arm. His way of reminding me never to forget him, I suppose. How can i?

*************

So, the legacy of yet another Bee lives on in my blog. In part 3, i'll blog about some of the things i remember most about the Bee and post up some pics and a video, if possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.