Friday, May 06, 2005

Of families and stressed-up children

Today was an emotional one. I had to meet the parents of one of my students because he has been exhibiting behaviour which is to say the least, weird. He is an awfully stressed boy, by expectations, by parents and mostly by himself. Unable to control his emotions, it is exarcebated by his parents who place exceedingly high expectations on him and as a result scream at him the moment he does something wrong - which is often, in their eyes. He is a playful procrastinator - which his parents cannot accept. And he's only 10!

Truth to tell, i feel sorry for him. Terribly sad and upset, in fact. To think he's just my student, and not related to me. If i were his parents' friends, I'd tell them to go for family therapy; anything that will salvage this boy who is brilliant yet trying very hard to win family acceptance. Most families would be rejoicing if their child is bright, yet this family insists on him being able to take care of himself at the mere age of 10. It is upsetting what children these days have to go through.

This is the point where I tell myself I have to break free. I am getting emotionally tied to such children who deserve a loving and warm family. Why are parents going under the society's spell of being result-oriented? Can't a child be accepted and loved for who he is, instead of being punished for trying to be the person he wants to be? Instead, he is judged based on his performance in school and at home... all he wants is a home where no one nags and scolds.

A lesson to parents out there: your child needs a decent childhood!! Give it to him or her.

No comments: